Saturday, July 11, 2009

July 11, 2009

Good morning everyone!





I know that it's been forever since I last posted, but it seemed that I always wanted to wait because more exciting things were going to happen. Well, I'm done waiting and am ready to write!





Let's start with Duke. He is almost 1. I cannot even believe it. He has been a wonderful addition to our family. We are definitely going to throw him a party on his birthday! We all love him so much. He can sit, shake, high 5, speak, and crawl. He's so smart. However, on Jim's birthday, while he was out of town, Duke bit into a battery and got acid on his tongue. Aaron and I spent a few hours at th vet with him. He had burns on his tongue all the way to the back of his throat. It was crazy. His tongue has just now finally healed. I bought him Frosty Paws, which is doggie ice cream and he LOVES it. When we have a special dessert, he gets to eat his peanut butter flavored Frosty Paws!





Aaron starts his senior year in a couple of months. How nuts is that? I still remember him as a 5-year old going to school at Wee Love. He took the SAT and ACT and did well on both of them. Although, he will take the SAT again in November. He has already looked at Seattle Pacific University. We also have plans to go to Gonzaga in October. Also, WSU is having a "Meet the Cougars" day in September at Quest Field. He liked SPU a whole bunch. He's definitely on the college train. So, that's good. He's got all of his classes ready to go for senior year and he's all on track. We still need to get his pictures done. Let's just pray and keep our fingers crossed that he gets his grades up next year. He starts driver's ed on the 20th. He's a little scared, but I know he'll do great. His driver's ed is taught by police officers, so that should be interesting. Jim and I are very proud of him and are excited to see the great things he does this upcoming year.





Kyle will also start his senior year. He has just grown leaps and bounds since he moved in with us three years ago. Jim and I are just so proud of him. Kyle also went to SPU and adored it. He's also going to Gonzaga to visit the campus. In August, him and I are going to PLU for a campus visit. He's very excited about going to college and will go and see just about any campus. He also took the SAT and ACT and did great. He is going to retake the SAT in November. Most colleges recommend that you take the SAT twice. Kyle has finished driver's ed and will be eligible to get his license next month, so watch out! Kyle finished the last quarter with a 3.9 GPA and has a 3.2 cumulative GPA. WOW!! He was also selected as"Student of the Month" in May. As most of you know, he was handpicked to go on a trip to DC in September. He also spent a week in DC with his aunt, uncle, and grandma. When he came home he had tons of stories to tell, he had a phenomenal time. He did cross country last year and will be doing it agin this upcoming year. He will be a busy little beaver.





Can you even believe that Mike will be a freshman? It's just crazy! He did football last year and will do it again this year. Football is so good for him, he always comes home exhausted and sleeps wonderfully. He is excited to be going into highschool. He was in choir again last year and will be doing choir again this upcoming school year. He's also been pretty happy to be ungrounded. We're hoping too, that his grades improve this next year. Not too much has been going on with him. He's becoming such a wonderful young man.



Kahlan will be at the middle school all by herself. I think she'll be happy about that. She'll be a 7th grader. She loves school. She gets good grades and is never in trouble. She is, however, into all the drama that goes with being in middle school. She played the trumpet in the band last year and had a blast. It was amazing to hear how much better she got from September to June. She will not be doing band this upcoming year, but will follow in her older brothers' footsteps and do choir. She's also talking about doing volleyball this year too. She too is enjoying her summer. I just wish she had more girl friends to play with. It's so hard for her to be the only girl.

Adam will be a big bad 3rd grader. Yikes! He had the best teacher in 2nd grade. Her name was Mrs. Prey and she has been Adam's favorite teacher so far. She actually made him like school. He will be doing soccer starting in August. He's so excited he can barely contain himself. We had Adam's cousin for about 10 days. They had a blast. It was so good for both of them to have another little boy to play with. He has also found the telephone. Him and his friend Ryan talk to each other quite often. They are very chatty. It's pretty funny. He's spent the night at Ryan's house. It was his very first non-family sleepover. I was a wreck, but he did great. He didn't miss us at all. He's a great kid and growing up way too fast.

Onto me. As most of you know, I was Adam's classrooms' art docent. I am hoping to do it again this upcoming school year. I had a blast and Adam was pleased as punch to see me in his classroom. I also became Vice-President and Volunteer Coordinator of the Poulsbo Middle School PTA. The real work hasn't started yet, but it will be a great learning experience. As some of you know, I'm also working to start my own non-profit. It's a pretty long and arduous process (there is so much paperwork), but I know it will be worth it in the long run . What I'm looking to do is cover certain school costs (like graphing calculators & other school supplies, the cost of breakfasts and lunches until they can get on the free/reduced plan, the SAT/ACT fees and field trips) and sports costs (like the cost of physicals, cleats, and the enrollment fee to join the sport). I will only work with the principals of the schools. They seem to know what it is going on most of the time. In the beginning, I will only work in the North Kitsap School District. If it goes well, than I can branch out to other school districts. It will require a lot of time, energy, and patience, but I'm so excited to do this. I have also been diagnosed with hypothyroidism. Which explains why I've gained all the weight I have. I've been on the medicine for about 4 weeks. I go back next week for more bloodwork and then back the following week to see my doc and find out what's going on. Other than that I'm just enjoying the summer with the kids.

Jim Jim Jim. He's been working a lot of overtime lately. His boss was in town for two weeks a little while back and, of course, threw a monkey wrench into everything. It was nuts. Jim has been having ringing in ears since he took the flight to Chesapeake in October. He recently went to the doctor and found out he has lost quite a bit of hearing. He's been to his regular doctor, a hearing doctor, and an ENT. He will be having an MRI and if that comes back normal, he will have more bloodwork. If that comes back normal, he will just have to live with it. Ugh! Over the 4th of July weekend, we went and visited his brother and sister-in-law. It was a lot of fun. They have a ton of land and the kids and Duke could just roam and be kids. When we came back on Sunday, we were all exhausted. But, it was worth it.

I think that's about it. Please forgine any typos or grammatical errors, I just want to get this posted. I will ty my hardest not to go so long without giving you guys any updates. Just know that ALL of us miss and love you all so very much. I hope that we can see everyone real soon!

1 comment:

Jim Kunz said...

Hi Jen,

Thank you for the update on the family. I realize it's a lot of work and We( the whole family) appreciate it so much. I had a wonderful time in D.C. with Kyle. Man, is he a great kid. We just about walked the soles off our shoes but did we ever have fun. It was an answer to my prayers to be able to spend so much time with him. Please know how much we appreciate you and Jim for the wonderful parents you are to our grandkids. We love you and hope to get to see all of you soon.
Love,
Grandma Katie